After discovering I can’t really eat dairy, I struggled to find an adequate substitute for the sour cream based onion chip dip that everyone would bring to parties, or have as a snack. I tried vegan versions of sour cream, often tofu based and expensive, that I had to drive to a store half an hour away to get. Driving that far is often a difficult task, so I was desperate to find a version I could make at home. This weekend, I finally found it.
Motivation rating: Easy
Planning rating: Think ahead
Salt rating: 2440mg sodium for one packet of soup mix + 1/2 tsp salt + chips = SALTY
1 cup cashews, soaked overnight. I use salted and roasted cashews.
1/4 cup lemon juice (from concentrate, reduce amount if using fresh lemons)
1/2 tsp+ salt
2 tsp nutritional yeast (helps give it a dairy flavor, can omit if you don’t have it. I buy it in bulk now.)
1/2 cup water or nondairy milk
1 packet Lipton dry Onion Soup Mix
1/2 tsp onion powder (optional)
Chips of choice- the saltier the better
1. Soak your cashews overnight the day before you want to make the dip. If you’re like me, and can’t predict a chip dip craving, you can boil the nuts for 20 minutes. It doesn’t get as creamy as soaking overnight, but will do in a pinch.
2. Drain the soaked cashews and combine with the next four ingredients (use only 1/2 tsp salt here) in a blender, and blend on high speed. If you have a high powered blender like a Vitamix, Blendtec, or Ninja it is ready in around 2 minutes on high. If you have a low powered blender, it may take longer or not get as creamy. Scrape the sides of the blender as needed. Motivation level for steps 1-2: You can eyeball measurements if you want and sit down while it all blends if you’re pretty confident your blender won’t turn on you and explode as soon as you look away.
3. Put that mixture in the refrigerator. Want to stick the whole blender jar in the fridge? Go for it. Want to spoon it in a Tupperware container? Sure. Let it chill for an hour, or if you’re impatient, skip this step.
4. Rip open that packet of dry soup mix and dump it in. Mix. Like it with extra onion flavor? Dump in that onion powder too. I eat this too fast for anyone to see and judge how much I love onion.
5. Dip those chips. If it’s not salty enough for you, go crazy and add some more. Share if you’re feeling generous.